200+ reportedly killed in latest Syrian massacre
TALK RADIO NEWS SERVICE
Syrian opposition activists said more than 200 people were killed in the Sunni village of Tremseh on Thursday by government forces using tanks and helicopters. If confirmed, that’s the worst in a series of massacres.
The Syrian government also reported a mass killing in a village but said it was committed by armed terrorist groups. the official description for President Assad’s opposition.
Activists in Hama, nearby, posted a video accusing the govt of “ethnic cleansing.”
Meanwhile, Security Council diplomats were meeting in a closed session at the UN, working on drafting a new resolution to force Assad’s govt and its armed antagonists to honour a cease-fire, allow the monitors to resume their work, and carry out the Annan peace plan. An anti-Assad group in Syria, the Local Coordination Committees, said many Tremseh victims were shot as they tried to escape the bombardments. A resident of a nearby village described devastation with bodies strewed in fields, on streets and in private homes about 50 corpses had been pulled from the river.
Abu Muhammad said a convoy of vehicles from Alawite villages had parked outside the village early Thursday, including five trucks filled with soldiers and began shooting. They were backed by tanks along the village’s eastern edge, he said.
Pro-Assad militiamen known as shabiha deployed on the western edge of the village, he said, and “fired at anyone or any car that tried to leave the village.”
State TV said that security forces had entered the village only after receiving “calls from local residents to save them from the terrorist groups which committed massacres against civilians.” In addition, the first ambassador to break with Assad exhorted Syrians to join the revolution and he urged the armed forces to “turn your guns on the criminals from this regime.”
Short URL: http://thejewishreporter.com/?p=4496